What is Tumblr?
Tumblr is a micro-blogging platform that lets you effortlessly share anything. Post text, photos, quotes, links, music, and videos, from your browser, phone, desktop, email, or wherever you happen to be. You can customize everything, from colors, to your theme’s HTML. Tumblr’s main goal was to make the entire process as simple as possible by allowing you to includes all types of media with just the click of a button.
How to Make a Free Tumblr Blog
1. Go to the Tumblr homepage to create your free account. You will need to enter a valid email address and the name of your Tumblr blog url (http://yourblogname.tumblr.com).
**If you choose a Tumblr blog url and don’t like it, you can always change it later**
2. After submitting your information you will need to verify you are human.
3. Done! Now you should directed to create your first post. Here comes the fun part.
You will be prompted with several options to add bio, photo and to customize your blog. Feel free to complete those before moving on or you can always add that information later.
Also please be sure to check out the free Tumblr Template section I created on BrandBuildSell. I have some great themes available, give instructions on how to upload a new theme and also give directions how to make a Tumblr theme.
My 2 Cents About Domains
If you have had a chance to read my post on how to make a free blog, then you will know my position on free blog sites. But just in case you haven’t read this page, here’s a recap.
Free blog hosting sites (like Tumblr) are cool because:
- They’re free!
- They are super easy to setup and configure even for a beginner
- You can get started in less than 5 minutes
But they do have their disadvantages as well:
- You will not have control over your own domain name – especially if the blogging services goes out of business or decide to change the format of their URLs. The future of your blog is the hands of someone you DON’T EVEN KNOW!
- If Tumblr ever decides to close up business http://www.yourblogname.tumblr.com will no longer exist
- Your blog’s domain name holds all the authority, statistics and Pagerank and they are NOT TRANSFERABLE! If you are looking to create a brand or generate an income you will loose money and search engine traffic if you change your url later. If you decide you want to make this blog your own, you CANNOT add a domain name later. You will lose bookmarks, visitors, Pagerank, search engine ranking and MONEY! And worst of all if you ever decide to leave that blogging service for a large scale paid option and close that account, you will be left with nothing. Another person can start a blog with your previous address and take credit for all of your hard work.
How to Resolve the Domain Name Problem
All you need to do is register your domain name. Tumblr allows you to use a custom domain name with your free Tumblr account and you can get a super cheap domain name directly from Godaddy for only $1.99. Go Daddy is a trusted domain registrar, so save yourself a few headaches in the future and register a domain.